Going down the road from the west door of San Juan, and in the proximities of the road to Salvatierra, we find a beautiful landscape in which is remarkable the stone bridge placed over the bank of San Lázaro.
The Bank of San Lázaro, also known as the "Bank of the Laundry Woman", was the place where women came to wash clothes. Upstream can be found “Charco Pelambre”. Apparently it took its name from a neighborhood that centuries ago was established in the population with that same name, where the guild of furriers was located.
Bridge of San Lázaro.
Pilar de la Fuente Nueva.
The Bridge has three half-point arches, being the laterals more narrow, while the central is bigger coinciding with the place of highest flow of the bank. This disposition generates a two-sided profile called “ass' back”, a characteristic shape given to the bridges of the Middle Ages. It has also two attached cutwaters of angular floor plan and pointed in the top that facilitate the flow of water.
In the beginning of the 20th century a storm damaged the bridge. It is still a first class visual surprise for those who come across it, more so when it is set in a beautiful natural environment.
Next to the bridge there is the Pillar of Fuente Nueva, built in 1884.