In this natural environment we find Convento de las Llagas de San Francisco, between the road to Zafra and Medina. As indicated by the inscription on its facade, in 1562 Teresa de Zúñiga, Duchess of Béjar, began the construction of the Convent, at the time when she was ill.
In 1571 the friars occupy the convent, but economic resources were scarce and the works were seriously slowed down for more than twenty years. It is then when the Council, in 1596, helps the friars of the Order of the Discalced of Saint Francis to finish the dormitories. The friars had a great influence on the social life of Burguillos.
The sect of Los Alumbrados had presence in the convent at the beginning of the 17th century. Los Alumbrados was a Spanish religious movement of the 16th century in the form of a mystical sect, which was persecuted by the Inquisition because it was considered heretical and related to Protestantism. It is necessary to emphasize the figure of Fray Francisco de la Parra, who transferred his ideas to the monks and friars of the convent.
Convento de las Llagas de San Francisco.
Outside of Convento de las Llagas de San Francisco.
The friars of the convent, in addition, helped in the parishes and chapels of the population and assisted in the infirmary of Plaza de España.
The convent corresponds to a building of Renaissance style, divided into two floors, highlighting the chapel and the various convent units. On the upper floor are the cells in which the friars were housed, in the lower the common quarters; kitchen, refectory, chapter house and a beautiful cloister with a well in the center. This cloister, of square floor plan, is arranged in two floors, the inferior one corresponds with a gallery of basket-handle arches and columns of masonry and of stone arranged of alternative form. The upper one has a closed gallery with small windows and blind semicircular arches.
The chapel is accessed from the cloister, on the south side, or from the main facade of the convent that would be located on the side of the Gospel inside the temple.
As for the interior of the church, it is a single nave with a high altar. At the foot of the temple we find the choir.
With the Confiscation of Mendizábal it becomes a private property. Until 1953 it was a factory of jars and cones of great prestige due to the quality of the clay. In 1953 a reform took place in order to house San Isidro Labrador, patron of farmers and ranchers. The last reforms were made in different stages in the last decade of the 20th century and the first decade of the 21st century.
Currently, the church is popularly known as San Isidro because of the worship and festivities held in honor of this saint, with a pilgrimage around the 15th of May.
Inside of Convento de las Llagas de San Francisco.